01255 436622 
Building a conservatory can be a smart way to add an extra room and extra value to your property. However, making the decision to extend your property shouldn’t be taken lightly. A lot of research should go into this on your part to ensure you’re making the right decision. Something you will need to look into and perhaps apply for is planning permission. 


Planning permission is required by UK law in order to allow you to build on, or change, the use of land or buildings. This is meant to take into consideration the visual and aesthetic effect of a new building or extension on the existing homes in the surrounding area. This means it is not entirely your decision as to whether you can add a conservatory to your home or not. Failing to get it could be an expensive mistake to make, and you may end up having to make expensive amendments. Local authorities even have the power to knock down illegally built structures. 
Single-storey extensions can be built without seeking permission first, as long as they abide by the following conditions: 
The conservatory does not cover more than half your garden 
The house has already been extended 
The roof ridge or top point is no higher than the eaves of your property’s roof 
There’s a maximum height of 4 metres, or 3 metres high if within 2 metres of boundary 
Side extensions must not extend beyond half the width of the house 
It’s always a wise decision to get the go ahead before you build on your property. If you’re unsure of where to start, Creative View Clacton will be able to help you arrange it. You may also need to arrange the following: 
Water board authority approval – If you intend to build on or within three metres of a public sewer, you must get permission from the regional water board authority. 
Listed buildings and conservation areas – must comply with strict rules which restrict the work which can be done to the exterior of a property, without getting planning permission first. 
Restrictive covenants – some properties are built with restrictive covenants on them, a private agreement in the title deeds which outlines ways in which they may and may not be used or developed. 
Party wall approval – In England and Wales, this is usually required when you intend to excavate near to a neighbouring property to lay foundations. 


The process for planning permission is fairly simple. You can use the planning portal to submit the majority of applications for planning consent online. When payment has been confirmed, it’ll be passed onto the relevant local planning authority and the application process can begin. All planning applications are required to be submitted on a standard form. For Colchester Council Planning applications, click here. For Tendring Council Planning applications, click here. 
The Department should determine your application within eight weeks, although more complex applications can take a little longer. 


If you live in a listed building or conservation area, you’ll need to ensure your new conservatory is in-keeping with your property. Houses that are in national parks or designated areas of outstanding natural beauty are subject to this. These restrict the work that you can do on the outside of your property without getting planning permission. In most cases, conservatories can be added if their design is complementary to the property’s original aesthetic. Frames and glazing must match the rest of the property, for example. 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings